Thursday, April 24, 2008

Food and Memory *

As we talked about memories that are brought up through memories of food I didn't think that it was possible. But as we talked more of the reading and listened to other people about their memories I began to think it was possible. Although I do think that memories are accumulated based on what people tell you. For example, parents would know most about what happened during the child's life time and as she/he grows up the parents tell them the story. Based on that story we think that we remember but I believe that we do remember things on our own as well.

As we talked about in class, the memory is stronger when it is associated with food. When I was living in Korea, after school all the kids would gather around food areas right out side of the school and use the allowances that the parents gave them. Because Korea is so small, everything is in walking distance and I remember that everyday after school me and my sister would go to the near by market and buy junk food. The types of junk food are not like what we think of here with chocolates and candies. This particular one that I can recall is rice cake kabobs with hot chili sauce smothered on it. Rice cake isn’t really a junk food but is when you eat it and it spoils your appetite for dinner. Since I am going back to Korea this summer, I want to do all the things that I can remember doing when I was little.

On a side note, for the first time I cooked for my friends a healthy and low calorie chicken with apricot sauce and for side dish we had wild rice with green beans. I got the recipe off the glamour website because they were encouraging healthy eating and exercise. I used chicken breast and broiled it in the oven and made the apricot sauce. The ingredients to make the sauce were: apricot jam, soy sauce, and butter. I normally don't cook and usually eat out a lot and sometimes don't have time to eat at all. So this was a big deal to me, I was worried that the sauce was not going to be good and I always over cook my meat. But overall my guests were satisfied and I had fun preparing the food.

No comments: