On Friday the 30th I went to go help out at the new P-patch behind Hall Health. I helped out by pulling out the roots from the beds and evening them out so they match the other beds. There was so many to be pulled out and leveling out the bed was not as easy as I thought. I also helped out by putting the chips on top of the cardboards that were placed on the ground. I help out for two hours which I had previously thought seemed long but when I was finished, I realized that it had gone by so fast. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be and I actually had fun. I went to the patch thinking all I had to do was go help out. This experience made me realize that making a garden or a small farm doesn’t just happen because you want to do it. It takes careful planning and a lot of time dedication. I imagine that in Cuba, when the whole country had to start farming in order to eat it was probably a lot harder than what I experienced. I think what Cuba did was amazing and incredible, but it gets to me thinking if it’s possible here in the US. I am surprised to say that I actually enjoyed the experience and maybe I’ll help out sometimes at home.
When our family lived in Kansas, my mom used to have her own P-patch in the back yard. There used to be pumpkins, squash, lettuce, and peppers. These are just some that I could remember and I remember picking from our small farm and eating them. It was not the biggest thing but helping out at the patch reminded me of what we had. Now we barely have anything in the back yard and I appreciate the fresh vegetable that our yard used to produce for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment